Leading a normal life with a panic disorder is extremely difficult and disturbing. Most people suffering from panic attacks tend to see every situation as a possible threat and hence live every single day trying to avoid meeting people, traveling, living alone, getting into conflicts or arguments etc. When panic attacks get the better of you, most people would prefer immediate relief and hence turn to drugs. But as you keep taking these drugs, you will realize that not only does it make your condition worse, but you reach a point where you just cannot stop taking these drugs and then you end up ruining your physical and mental health. The root of the problem, the reason for the attacks, the reason for not being able to perceive a situation in the right manner, all these problems cannot be set right by the use of drugs. They only give you symptomatic relief when you are extremely nervous, or you have a racing pulse or you are sweating profusely, when you feel like someone is strangling you etc.
When a situation is perceived as a small trigger, most normal people react by feeling a little nervous, start sweating and experience slight palpitation. But, in people suffering from panic attacks, these little triggers are perceived as a huge threat and they react with symptoms that are much more severe when compared to normal limits, which is why these people always seem to be tensed and afraid.
A panic attack is very treatable. What you need to do first and foremost is accept that you have a little problem, a problem that does not let you perceive certain painful situations in the right way. Instead of worrying about all the reactions that happen in your body when the mind is triggered, try to focus on re-thinking and re-living that triggering situation over and over again until your mind develops the art of looking at it calmly without going insane.
Every new situation should be taken as a challenge, like a new mathematical problem where your mind gradually develops the art of solving different kinds of problems by proper analysis. Once you learn how to do this, you will see that your mental and physical health improves a great deal, which will improve your overall quality of life.
The things that you need to follow during severe anxiety in night are as follows:
1) Realize that you are awake due to a attack and not due to some other reason. Because confusing you mind during that during will increase the attack. So realize the panic attack at night soon so that you can combat it effectively.
2) Do not get out of the bed immediately when you wake up from sleep due to a attack. This movement of the body may lead to other conditions which will aggravate your attack. So stay calm in the bed.
3) After neutralizing the attack by following the above two steps, start a positive step to combat the attack. Try having a deep breathe which will refresh your body. Do it at least ten times, after which you can feel that the severity of the attack is reducing.
4) The above step will help you from getting out of the panic state. But for staying away from these attacks during night, do exercise regularly. Exercising will keep you fit and strong that you can stay away from these attacks in night.
5) Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which will weaken your body to such a level that you will suffer these attacks regularly. So stay away from caffeine and alcohol as much as possible. Do not watch television until you sleep. This will strain your eyes and can cause headaches, which in turn may lead to an attack. So relax your mind, before going to sleep
The steps mentioned above have given fruitful results for many people who have experienced this attack before regularly during night. These steps may look simple, but they can be very powerful in combating these panic attacks at night.